Why join UCU?

A national voice for university academic and academic-related staff
Our union fees contribute to representation at a local and national level on professional and educational issues, influencing public debate on Higher Education through parliamentary lobbying and the national media and negotiating on wages and conditions. The more members we have, the stronger our voice.

Local representation and negotiation at Bangor University
UCU Bangor represents the collective interests of all our members and exerts influence on University decision-making. We work closely with other campus trade unions where appropriate and constantly seek to improve current conditions.

Protection at work
UCU also offers members a comprehensive advice and support service. Issues at work need not be faced alone; our members have access to advice and representation provided by our local branch, with additional support from the UCU’s regional and national resources, including access to the best legal advice available.

Who can join?

Anyone who works as an academic, lecturer, trainer, instructor, researcher, administrator, manager, computer staff, librarian or postgraduate in UK further and higher education can join UCU. However, as a member of the TUC, UCU does not actively seek to recruit staff in grades or job groups for which we have no formal representational rights and for which another trade union is recognised by the employer. At Bangor, UCU represents academic and academic-related (professional & managerial grade) staff; support staff who want union representation should contact Unite or Unison.

Join now!

The easiest way to join UCU is to complete the online application form. Alternatively you can join over the phone: 0333 207 0719*. However you choose to join, please also inform our branch administrator so we can keep you informed of local union activities.

*Lines open 9.15am-4.45pm Mon-Fri. Calls are charged at standard rates; if you have inclusive call minutes or an allowance calls to this number are usually included (please check with your provider).